Birth name: Eleanora Fagan Gough
Name change: Changed her name to "Billie Holiday" because of her admiration for film star "Billie Dove." She was also known as "Lady Day."
Birth date: April 7, 1915
Birth place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Death date: July 17, 1959
Death place: New York City, New York
Burial location: Saint Raymond's Cemetery in Bronx County, NY
Famous Tagline: "Lady Sings the Blues"
Occupation: Legendary jazz singer
Hair color: Black
Eye color: Brown
Spouse: Louis McKay
Did you Know?
- The U2 song Angel of Harlem paid tribute to Holiday.
- On September 18, 1994, the United States Postal Service honored Holiday by introducing a USPS-sponsored stamp.
- Her early band was organized by pianist Teddy Wilson.
- She was discovered by John Hammond
- A statue of Holiday still stands today at the corner of Lafayette and Pennsylvania Avenues in Baltimore.